socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I need to know if there is a way to back out of a roofer

Customer Question

i need to know if there is a way to back out of a roofer contract after signing the contract. they haven't done any work at all except put a small tarp for temporary damage
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 11 months ago.

If you tell the roofer that you are "rescinding" the agreement and you no longer want the work done, because you were mistaken about the terms and conditions of the agreement, then it would be up to the roofer to sue you for its lost profits on the job. That could be quite difficult, especially if the roofer has other work available, so that there won't actually be any lost profits.

Re a 35% penalty, that is an illegal contract provision, and no court would enforce it against you.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!