LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
63726236

I put $25,000 down on a VW Jetta on Mother's Day. My

Customer Question

I put $25,000 down on a VW Jetta for myself on Mother's Day. My Calif. husband was here to visit in Washington where I live. He was supposed to leave my car and dogs. He snuck out taking both the dogs and the car. He is making payments on the car and left me with a truck with over $200,000 miles on it. I put $25,000 of my legal inheritance down on the car :0( Can I get it back when I file for legal separation?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear this;

Either a police report can be filed if the party that took the car is not on title and did not have permission; otherwise, one can request that the court confirm the property to its rightful owner (property purchased with inherited money typically remains that person's property)

So long as inherited money is not commingled, it belongs to the person inheriting it.