Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I had an account with time warner and fulfilled my contract.

Customer Question

I had an account with time warner and fulfilled my contract. I never signed up for an extension. They increased my bill and I cancelled my account. That same day I returned the equipment. my final bill was $8+ dollars which I paid. I received a collection letter stating I owed $202.11. I sent a letter and copy of the return receipt stating if you can prove to me I owe this I would be more than happy to pay. Nothing from them for several months. Once again another letter. I took all receipts to a local office and was told to contact a local supervisor. No return call. The clerk looked over the information and said she couldn't help me. I have talked to many prior customers about this company. The feed back is after completing contract they raise the price and if you cancel this is the grief you get including reporting on your credit.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. First, it is important to get a few facts:

1) Did the first letter come from TW, or a collection agency?

2) Did he second letter come from TW, or a collection agency? Was it the same collection agency as the first, or, another one?

3) When (what date) did the second letter come?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
First request for payment came from time warner, 2nd. and third came from a collection agency. The second letter came about six months after the first. The last letter I am pretty sure came from another collection company. I told my wife at that time the first collection co. probably knew there was no way we owed them.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I am. Sorry, it takes a few minutes to respond.

Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

I need to know what date the third letter came from, and whether or not it came from a collection agency that had already sent you something, or not.

This is important, as special rules may stymie their ability to collect. But I need this information. Can you provide it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have already been charged $47 and now it will cos
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Now it will cost... what? I am sorry, your question was cut off. This should not cost anything extra unless you request a phone call (in which case it would go to another expert who would have access to this thread).

But unless you ask for a call or sign up for a subscription, this should no cost anything more than what you ordinarily paid.

Did you wish to continue?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will do more research for collection information, find my receipts and get back. Have I been charged the $47?
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

The money has been withdrawn to your JA Account, but it is still under your control. It is not released until/unless you rate your expert positively.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not wish to continue at this time. I will however find all info concerning this and call back
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This has been going on for a long time and I have filed this info over the last couple of years. To be able to answer your questions I will need these. The importance now is the fact this showing up on my credit reports. My hope to turn the tables on them and sue them in small claims court. Will get back.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Okay. Feel free to reply back when you have the information. I would very much need to know the following for each letter:

1) What date received?

2) From whom? (TW or collection agency; which collection agency)