Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
20073497

I recently purchased a car in someone else's name

Customer Question

I recently purchased a car for myself in someone else's name because I don't know how to drive and do not have a license. How ever I'm trying to get my permit now and going to driving school. I pay all the car noted and insurance with my debit card. I do plan on getting my license as soon as a get a permit. How ever my ex boyfriend is on possession of the car and will not give it back. Is there any way I can get my car back. I pay all the car notes and insurance. And we did have a verbal agreement that the car is mine and he is only drive it temporarily until I get my license. Is there any way I can get my car back if I go to Court.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer, I will be glad to Answer your question and find a solution to your problem and the only thing I ask in return is that you leave a positive rating for my Answer so that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you. You have already placed a deposit, so leaving a positive rating for me will not cost you anything additional and t is the only way that JustAnswer will give med credit for assisting you, Fair enough ? This will not cost you anything additional, First, plase allow me to ak you how much you paid for the car, so that I can tell you in which Court to file your papers in, Okay? 1. What did the car cost (sticker price) 2.When did you ask your boyfriend to return the car to you ? When I receive this information, I will tell you exactly what steps to take to get your car back, Okay ? :) ANDREA
Before a Judge will rule on your case, the law requires that you make formal written demand on your boyfriend for the return of your property. So please follow the steps I have listed below and you will be practically “Home free”1. You will send your boyfriend the original letter, keeping a copy for yourself and an extra copy to hand up to the Judge as proof that you met the requirement of making demand on him to return your car. Give him 30 days to return the car to you; 2. If he does not return your car within those 30 days, then go to the Court Clerk’s Office in ____ Court in your County’ and to give you a hearing date. Have the Court Clerk serve your boyfriend with a copy of the Complaint, 3. On the hearing date, bring copies of the following with you to Court and as you are telling the Judge your side of the story, hand up your exhibits to the Court Clerk and he or she will hand them to the Judge:A. Receipt or contract of sale that the dealer gave you for the carB. The Note that you are paying offC. The bank statement to prove that you are paying for the car yourselfD. The car’s registration showing that you registered the car E. A copy of the letter you sent to your boyfriend, demanding that he return the car to you. 4. Then tell the Judge that your boyfriend borrowed the car, you have asked him verbally and in writing to return the car to you, but he refuses to give it back to you. JustAnswer now has a new feature called “Additional Services” where the customer pays a small additional fee and we will prepare the “Demand Letter” which you will send to your boyfriend. If you like, I can send you JustAnswer’s “Offer of Additional Services” and if you accept, I will write the Demand Letter for you. I can also prepare the statements that you must tell the Judge on the hearing date so that you can properly present your case to the Judge. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to explain further, If I have Answered your question completely, please be kind enough to leave a positive rating because that is the only way that JustAnswer will give me credit for Answering your question, Kindest Regards, ANDREA
Kindly leave a Positive rating so that JustAnswer will give me credit for Answering your question, You have already placed a deposit with JustAnswer, so leaving a Positive Rating will NOT cost you anything additional, But it is necessary so that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you, Thank you for your understanding, Kindest Regards, ANDREA