Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

A major Bank gave my credit investigation authorization to a

Customer Question

A major Bank gave my credit investigation authorization to a car dealership I never dealt with. Got a note from the credit company telling me this. Can I get paid by them? Isn't this illegal?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1) Why did they give this to the car dealership?

2) Did the car dealership run a check on your credit? If so, do you know if it was a "hard" or "soft" pull?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is a hard vs soft pull? Is hard where it affects your credit score? Yes, the car dealership did run a credit check on me. The credit company wrote a letter (most unusual) notifying me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dunno why the bank did that. They aren't supposed to give out personal profile info that allows them to fraudulently obtain a credit report.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

A soft pull runs minimal information about you, and does not affect your credit score.

A hard pull is a comprehensive credit check and affects your credit score (although normally by not more than 1-4 points).

WHY did the credit company do this? Did they make a mistake and apologize? Can you upload the letter or at least paraphrase it?

Do you know if this was a hard or soft pull, or not sure?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ely, no I can't give that to you. Right now I have to go. I don't want to pay you. I am not satisfied. Credit level is not the issue. Invasion of personal info is the issue. How can you miss that? Very important. I refuse to pay. Do not collect. Sorry/
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

I am not sure what you mean by "can't give that to you."

The case here would be dual: (a) invasion of privacy - public disclosure and (b) violation of federal law. The violation of federal law is the much stronger action in the case. This is why I was asking.

While the invasion of privacy may be the specific issue for you, whether or not the check cost you a dip in your credit is of the utmost importance because that is what would help make a case for punitive damages under federal law (FCRA and similar laws) and may have helped to compel the credit company into a settlement.

If you wish to end the conversation, I understand. All the best.