Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

In Atlanta Georgia. I was parked and sleeping in vehicle and

Customer Question

In Atlanta Georgia. I was parked and sleeping in vehicle and got booted.booted.http://georgiaparkingauthority.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/25-atlanta-boot-ordinanceSec. 162-266 provides I shouldn't be booted when I'm with the vehicle.Sec. 162-260 provides the charge per day should $75 and nothing more but instead they are asking for $500 immediately.I think this company is committing a violation of Georgia § 16-8-2 - Theft by taking
§ 16-8-3 - Theft by deception
§ 16-8-7 - Theft by receiving stolen propertyBut nevertheless the police is abetting them. Weekday can I do in this situation?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you can prove that they knew you were in the car at the time they booted the car, then your recourse when the police do not want to do anything would be to file a civil suit against the company who placed the boot on the car and seek money damages against them as well as a court order for them improperly booting the car in violation of the court order. So if the police do not want to act, you need to go through the civil courts and sue to get the money returned to you and damages and/or get the court to order the boot to be removed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I have any rights place criminal sanctions?
Thank you for your reply.
No, your only right is to file your complaint to the prosecutor's office and it is up to them as to what, if any, action they will take. If they will not take any criminal action, your recourse is purely a civil suit.