Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Our college age son was admitted to hospital (Banner

Customer Question

Our college age son was admitted to hospital (Banner University Medical Center, Tucson) in April with spinal meningitis and after 5 days was released against our wishes. He was experiencing debilitating headaches from the 2 spinal taps he received. Home health nurse came in day after his release and told us he needed to be in hospital. We took our son back to the ER at Medical Center where we were horribly. Son needed to lay flat to alleviate the pain but we kept being told he had to sit up. We kept saying we needed him to lay flat and asked if there was a place to lay him we kept being told no so we finally laid him on the floor. Security came and told us it was against HIPPA laws for him to be on floor and threatened my husband and I with arrest and non treatment for our son. We requested to speak to head of ER. After 45 minutes head of security approached us and told us there was no place to have our son lay flat, no bed or stretcher was available nor an office floor was available but he would look. We finally laid our 6'1", 290 lb son on a waiting room coffee table in waiting area. After another hour we finally were place in a treatment room in the ER. Wen passed by several empty rooms with beds not being used. We were put in a room with a stretcher bed that was in an inclined position that we could not get down. My husband went to front desk to ask for assistance in lowering the bed but he was told to press the nurses call button. We did that 4 times and no one came. Finally a staff member was entering the break room across hall from us and we asked them to lower the bed. We were all very upset and I said to my husband did you get the pictures from the waiting room and he said yes. I told him great because I have everything documented. Within 5 minutes the head of the ER was in our room and our son was finally looked at. The head of ER told us we could discuss this with a patient advocate in morning but he would put a report on hospital administrator's desk as well. In addition I told them I had been doing my son's IV meds for the 24 hrs he was at home. They let me administer my son's meds even though I am not trained to do so. He was once again release to us.
My husband tried for several days to reach the patient advocate. When he did they wanted our statement and photos ASAP. We did meet with the patient advocate and 4 others that were head of medicine, head of pediatrics, head of nursing and head of emergency medicine. Our son told them what it was like to be treated the way he was without any caring or compassion. They told us it would take 30 days for them to review the case. After 90 days they came back with a thank you for sharing your story and we will have our staff undergo sensitivity training. Any billing is a contractual agreement with our insurance company. We were hoping that they would take some portion of our son's out of pocket expenses off his bill. They did not. In August my son called to set up a payment plan to pay the $1586 bill. He indicated he was a full time student and had no job would they accept $25/month. They told him no it had to be $140/month. He then asked who he could talk with to "see his soul" to help with this bill and he received no answer. I have since August sent from my checking account $25 to the billing address. I sent a letter from my son and myself explaining that he could only afford $25/month and I changed my son's address to our home so that I would see the bills coming in. I have yet to see one even though each month I change his address on the form as indicated. Last week my son also received a bill from Sirona Infusions for the balance of his bill after insurance. He called to set up a payment plan and explained his situation. The woman was extremely helpful and told our son that she would send him out a hardship packet that he needed to fill out. She told him that any federally funded hospital had to offer financial assistance to those that could not pay. She also indicated to Spencer(our son) that the hospital had to as well. He immediately called and tried to get someone from the billing office to talk with him. He finally talked with the head of billing who said there was nothing she could do. That because he had insurance there could be no assistance. He kept telling her that it is mandatory for him as a University student to have insurance. In addition she also told us his total was now $3,099 (minus $25 for each of the 5 months of payment. We requested an itemized bill but have yet to receive it. Also when questioned about being federally funded she said she didn't know. I asked for the name of the hospital administrator but she didn't know it nor did anyone else that I asked. My son is extremely upset that in addition to the horrible treatment he received he now has to pay this back without them giving any assistance. If you received horrible service at a restaurant you would be comped
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your question. Do you have a specific question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Our son has no means of payment for the expenses incurred from his hospitalization and illness. We feel that because of the hospital's extremely poor handling and treatment while in the hospital and the subsequent ER fiasco our son deserves some level of compensation. The hospital is unwilling to provide financial assistance even after this to help him pay his bill. I have checked with hospitals across the country and 4 other hospitals in Tucson and they all have financial assistance programs that help reduce the balance due after insurance has paid. If you receive poor service at a restaurant you would either have your bill taken care of or it would be reduced. I guess the question is "Is there any thing that we can do to reduce the amount he owes? What avenues can we pursue? I honestly believe that the way he was treated he deserves to have the bill taken care of instead of having the head of billing threaten him with ruining his credit. He is a full time student at the University of Arizona. It appalls me that this is how they treat their students

I understand your concerns. But still not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if he can demand they give him a reduction in the bill?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The question is clear to me and I guess it should be clear to you also. Can you help us get the obligation owed the hospital reduced or dismissed? We are looking for a means to pay less.

The terms of service of this website prohibit representation. While I am an AZ attorney I can not represent you (again, because of the website terms).

I would be willing to chat on the phone...perhaps I can offer some suggestions. I will send an offer for a call. IF you accept we can talk

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sounds like you're being evasive. We are not interested at this time.

Evasive ?

NO. I simply am not interest in taking time if it will not lead to a result.

I wish you the best.