CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I was in an auto accident in feb and the person that t me

Customer Question

I was in an auto accident in feb and the person that hit me did not have insurance, how is it possible to back date insurance 8 months later
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

If the insurance carrier is willing to write a policy that covers an accident that occurred prior to the date of the policy, it is possible.

However, it is very unlikely that any carrier is going to be willing to extend a policy to cover an accident that has already occurred. (There is no good business sense in extending a personal insurance policy for a driver that already has an accident - the carrier would be paying out more money immediately than they would be taking in in premiums, - and unlike a large commercial policy, it is unlikely that the carrier would ever recoup that expense).

You can still sue the person that hit you for negligence, and hold them personally responsible/liable for the damage they did - you can enforce judgment against them using wage garnishment, bank levies, and liens on their personal and real property.