Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

My name is ***** ***** and I have an issue... Im not a

Customer Question

Customer: Hello my name is ***** ***** and I have an issue... Im not a breeder but our German Sheperds had a litter of six and
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i took them to the vet and got their 1st shots and deworming i explained they were all going to homes. The vet never said anything about a health certificate... any way I have sold the pups 4 days after they went to the vet on the 19th --on the 22 this puppy was picked up by an older daughter who was to keep the puppy as a surprise for her younger sister who still lives at home. on the 26th I got an email the the pup had died of spontaneous pneunothorax...Im at a loss... all theses pups are healthy.... they now wanta refund and said by law they were to be given a health certificate...spontaneous pneunothorax is a pretty open ended diag......any advise????
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What state, because it depends on each state's law?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
florida
Thank you for your reply.
If you are not a pet dealer, defined under FL law as anyone who sells more than 2 litters or 20 dogs per year, whichever is greater, the puppy lemon law does not apply.
The law applies to pet dealers and says it is the consumer's right to receive a certificate of veterinary inspection with each dog or cat purchased from a pet dealer. Such certificate shall list all vaccines and deworming medications administered to the animal and shall state that the animal has been examined by a Florida-licensed veterinarian who certifies that, to the best of the veterinarian's knowledge, the animal was found to have been healthy at the time of the veterinary examination.
As you are not a pet dealer, you did not have an obligation to provide the certificate. Furthermore, if you can provide proof from the vet that his exam found the dog healthy, then legally you owe them nothing.