Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

I have tried to make a payment and they are refusing to to

Customer Question

i have tried to make a payment and they are refusing to to my money -- what are my option-- i put 2000 down and made the first payment of 300 and tried to make the next payment and they have a problem taking my monies. car is still having problems
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

I need some more information to properly assess the situation. What reason are you given for refusal to accept your money, and are you paying a dealer or a finance company? I look forward to your response.

Best,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I talk to the owner and his response was i took the car out of town. If im paying what does this mean. He says the car doesn't have gps installed and for that reason. I have to bring it in for installaton. Its not my fault that they didn't install one.i was told bring in the car for the gps and my 200.00 and there sudden be an issue.

Very strange, indeed. If you have a contract that allows you to make payments on the car, you can take the car out of town if you choose, (unless the contract provides otherwise, which would be very unusual) and the company has an obligation to accept your payments. If they do not accept your payments, those payments are still due, so don't spend the money, save it and keep trying to pay. Also, keep records of your attempts to pay, so if you are sued for breach of contract or if they try to repossess the car, you have a defense. Also, be careful. It sounds like they may want you to bring the car in to "have the GPS installed" but actually repossess the car instead. If you feel that may be the case, you may want to think twice about taking the car back to the dealer for any reason. Eventually, your payments will be accepted and this should blow over.

If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I will continue to assist. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1