How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6390
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of my mother's caregivers has an unreliable vehicle that

Customer Question

One of my mother's caregivers has an unreliable vehicle that would not pass state inspection. She has little savings to repair the car or purchase another. And, of course her credit rating will prevent her from getting a loan with reasonable interest. She is an excellent caregiver and I would like to help if, for no other reason, to retain her as an employee.
I have not discussed this with her but have found a used car in great shape with 31,000 miles and an additional 4 snow tires for $7,000. Yes, I've had it thoroughly checked out. So, finally my question. If I purchase the vehicle and agree to sell it to her for a specific monthly payment but want to retain the right to repossess, what forms are required?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

What state are you located in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
West Virginia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not calling. Just answer the question please
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Sorry just ignore that automatic pop back in a few...

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

So, you will need to transfer the title to her by filing out the back of the car title after it is titled in your name. You will also need a bill of sale from called Bill of Sale for a Motor Vehicle, Trailer, or Boat (Form DMV-7-TR). It establishes the sale price, includes odometer disclosure information, and features the contact information and signatures of your buyer and you as the seller. The West Virginia DMV requires all bill of sale forms to be accompanied by a copy of the driver’s licenses of both the buyer and the seller.


Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Here is the law regarding placing a lien on the title so you have a right to repossess in case of default.

At the link above is the certificate of title application that you would use to place a lien on the vehicle. However, it appears to apply only to a dealer sale; not private party. After much search efforts, I did not find one for a private party sale. But, bot***** *****ne is that you must get the title to show that you are a lienholder on it to be effective.

I would say at this point contact the WV DMV to see if they have such a form and a notice of lien form. I could find neither on the web.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Please assign a feedback rating for this answer so that JA will compensate me for my time. Thank you.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions