Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

Is a credit bearu named experian allowed to provide an

Customer Question

is a credit bearu named experian allowed to provide an online clothing store with my social the car i drive and my birthday?and is the online clothing store allowed to have this info without reserving right to my info?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Why do you think Experian provide that information?

Also, what was the online clothing store doing that required access to Experian?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They told me they work with experian as a third party..they call me to go through a"verification process"confirming personal info that they were able to provide me..further more they could have called amex to verify and the billing mached with shippi g address.i felt invaded when they were able to provide me with my personal info
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is any one responsible for passing my personal info

Unless you gave the store permission to access your information then it shouldn't have been provided by Experian.

However, there is no specific law that was violated since none of that information is protected. I can't imagine how Experian would know what kind of car you drive since they don't access DMV records, etc. They only have information that is provided to them by merchants.

Your birthdate isn't hard to find using a variety of online resources however they shouldn't have provided your SSN without an authorization. My "educated guess" is that if Experian did provide anything then the merchant told them you had allowed them to access the information.

If you had applied for credit, of rinstance, with the store then they would have had access to any information Experian had in their database. That would include SSN and birthdate.

Experian does have a verification service. You can see the basics of it at http://www.experian.com/decision-analytics/identity-and-fraud/identity-verification-screening.html

This info and service isn't regulated to any extent. Depending on exactly how the exchange of information took place it is possible some law was violated but there is no way to know from the information you provided so far.

What you may want to do is file a complaint with your state's Attorney General and see what their investigation reveals. That will tell you whether you want to pursue it further.