CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

Story short, a contractor worked on our home and we

Customer Question

Long story short, a contractor worked on our home and we submitted a claim of damages he did to the insurance company. The insurance company called to say that if we agree to take down online reviews we left than they(Contractor) would be willing to pay the claim. If not than it will go to court. It seems like something is not right. What is your opinion?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

You have received a settlement offer - you can accept it or reject it at your option.

You have no obligation to take down your negative review, but they also have no obligation to pay you (unless and until you win in court).

If you wish to settle quickly and easily, you can do so by removing your negative review.

I'm not saying that the company deserves to have the negative review removed - they didn't do the work they should have done - but this is not an unusual compromise.

This is entirely up to you and whether or not you want to make the deal with them - but do be aware - litigating a claim does take a lot of time and effort on your part.

Make sure to get any settlement agreement in writing!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why does the insurance company care about a contractor review i left? It was not a negative review about the ins company. Doesn't the insurance company do due diligence and make their own decision whether the claim is legit or not?

Dear Customer,

The insurance company is offering you a settlement offer. The offer is on behalf of the contractor.

(Again, you have the option of accepting their offer, or rejecting it. But I do recommend reviewing this from a "business judgment" perspective - is it worth the time and expense of going to trial, where there is an inherent risk in litigation to keep your review online. This is not a question I can answer for you - it may be a matter that is worth it to you - but it is a call you will need to make).