CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I was sold a car that needed major electrica work done. The

Customer Question

I was sold a car that needed major electrica work done. The car was sold as is and when I raised the issue that I was going to hire a third party to inspect the car I was told that would not be necessary because the car was being inspected in their shop. Because of that information I went ahead and purchased the car. I live in Maryland and the car was located in North Carolina. If I had known the car had the electrical issues I probably would not have purchased the car until the necessary work was performed.
I am seeking to recover the cost of the repairs.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

If you have already gone through the route of petitioning the NC Attorney General (consumer affairs), and disputing the matter with the dealer directly, your last option is to sue the dealer for "fraud in the inducement"

If the amount in dispute (the cost of repairs) is less than $10,000.00, you can make use of the small claims court: https://www.legalaidnc.org/public/learn/publications/small-claims/default.aspx, where you can sue without needing a lawyer, and with relaxed procedural and evidentiary rules.

I understand that you live out of state, so this is not ideal, but you can hire a process server in NC to actually physically file the complaint for you in NC and serve the complaint, then you should only need to appear in court for the actual hearing itself.