Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

We need advice regarding a 2015 C Class motorhome purchased

Customer Question

We need advice regarding a 2015 C Class motorhome purchased in August 2015. Used on two weekend excursions, both times resulting in problems with RV. The problems were covered under warranty & repaired. However, considering the amount of money invested in this new RV ($83,930 - with a cash down payment & remainder financed) we have lost confidence in this product. We are apprehensive & concerned traveling around the U.S. & near home with family & friends. There is approximately 800 miles on the RV, a 1/4 of which was put on taking the RV to & from repairs. We have cancelled trips to due repairs and our apprehension driving the RV long distances. My wife & I are recently retired & our dream was to travel, but we are not comfortable with this RV. The RV has been in the shop for 3 weeks waiting on a part. Prior to that, it was in the shop for two weeks. All we want to do is sell the RV back to the dealership. Unfortunately the dealership can't purchase it back & cannot sell it for us. The dealership gave us information on how to sell it ourselves, but since we have a loan on the RV we are cautious to do so. We have researched Lemon Laws, U.C.C. Breach of Warranty, MI Consumer Protection Act, etc. We may have a cause under the U.C.C. Breach of Warranty. We are in limbo as what to do. Any legal advice regarding this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time. Richard & Melody Bugni
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, and I have a client having the exact same issue, the lemon laws do not cover RV. The only thing you can insist on is that the repairs be made in accordance with the warranty terms. If they are not able to make repairs under the warranty as required, then they must replace it or refund your money. Because you are afraid it will break down is not a ground to invoke the warranty, the warranty only can be invoked to make the repairs and if they cannot make the repairs then you can use the breach of warranty to make them replace it or refund your money.
I have a person who picked up their RV and on the way home from the dealer it broke down and we are going through the same issues, as it has broken down on 3 of the last 8 trips, but unfortunately the law just says that as long as the warranty is covering the repairs as it states, there is no legal cause of action. So you have to keep using it and call for repairs as necessary or you need to get it fixed and sell it as the dealer advised you I am very sorry to say.