Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

I received delivery of furniture to my home. After the

Customer Question

I received delivery of furniture to my home. After the delivery was completed and the crew exited my house, a member of the delivery crew proceeded to go around my property and opened my gate which let my dog out of the yard. This was witnessed by my neighbor. My dog then made it into my neighbors home and caused damage to their floors. The delivery crew did not even inform me that they let my dog out of the yard and drove away. The furniture company has denied my claim to pay for my neighbors floor repair. Is the furniture company liable to pay for these damages?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Is the furniture company liable to pay for these damages?

.

Yes, if they were negligent in letting your dog out of the fenced yard, and then did nothing to return the dog to the yard, then they are liable for any damages that result from their actions in letting the dog out. But for their actions, the damages wouldn't have occurred. The issue for neighbor is that it was your personal property (i.e. the dog) that damaged their property. So the neighbor has a case against you and then you in turn have a case against the delivery company.

.

So your recourse here would be to sue them in small claims court under a negligence claim for any damages that you are forced to pay neighbor for the damages.

.

.

thanks