LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
63726236

Been getting calls about winning money. trying to find out

Customer Question

Customer: been getting calls about winning money. trying to find out if it is real
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: mans name is ***** ***** number is(###) ###-####says he is trying to help me claim my winnings. called a number suppose to be for american sweepstakes network number is(###) ###-####to claim prize. i think i'm being scamed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Consumer Protection Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: okay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 12 months ago.

Thank you; I have received your question and it will be just a few more minutes.

A legitimate lottery/sweepstakes requires a person to enter the contest, whether by buying tickets, purchasing an item, or signing up for particular services. Such sweepstakes will never ask for money up front in order to receive the prize/payout.

Unfortunately,the holiday season is high season for phone, email and internet scams. You can read more about it here: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0199-prize-scams#signs

A complaint can be lodged here: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

Generally, once someone's contact information is provided to a scammer, they will sell this information to other scammers, so it is important to be diligent.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 11 months ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for using JA. If you have further questions please post here and I will reply. Otherwise kindly rate Positively so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you and take care!