Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

Can a health insurance co retroactively collect a premium

Customer Question

Can a health insurance co retroactively collect a premium increase even though no notice was given of the increase? They collected $777 for a $50 per month increase or about 15 months of back premium costs.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow shortly in the pane below as per above parameters….

ANSWER:

This sounds like it would be a breach of contract for them to do that without notice. The plan handbook may provide that the co can increase premiums with some advanced notice so that you can seek out alternative insurance; but to charge you retroactively for an increase really appears to be unlawful. You can challenge any such increase by obtaining a court order that states that any such increase is unlawful by filing a declaratory judgment action; see this link.