Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

We have a car that we have been trying to return to the

Customer Question

we have a car that we have been trying to return to the dealership for over a year now , we have not made a payment in over two years , we have called them told them to come and get it , have sent them letters and their reply is always the same thing " OK " , it is a buy here / pay here lot in Jacksonville ,fla. and we now live in Louisiana , what can we do ?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 12 months ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble turning over the vehicle. If the dealer won't come pick it up, you can drop it off on their lot and advise the management that you have done so. Also send a certified letter letting them know, and keep a copy of both the letter and the delivery receipt. The event will go on your credit report as a repossession, but I expect you already knew that. The benefit of doing this is that nonpayment coupled with return will avoid the possibility of a stolen car report and potentially surprise criminal charges.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

PS - I realize the distance between you and the dealer is now significant, with you now living in LA, but it's worth the time and effort to drive down for a clean return.