Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I was at a Restaurant at a Family gathering and area was

Customer Question

I was at a Restaurant at a Family gathering and area was reserved for My Party of 40+ and as People got there they ate and socialized ,and some socialized and then ate having not seen each other some in more that 20 years and Some Younger not ever seeing or knowing Their Folks, after a While the Restaurant Manager came over and Unpolite like Said We Had Been There Long enough and We had to go know Scenes or anything because He wanted to Seat others and Had Room else Where ,upon being asked rudely to leave I Myself was at A Table Eating and He Sat People at The Table Forcing Our Party to be dissatisfied and because of His Actions ,Realize We Had a Section Reserved for This Event and Was Never Told About a Time Limit having Chose This Establishment for The Accommodations and That It Was A All You Can Eat Buffet costing around 12 to 14 dollars a Customer Having a Group of Over 50 Individuals I feel insulted and Embrassed as For What He Done and Am Seeking Rights of What can Be Done and to be referred to someone or the right direction. Mind You I Drove From Columbus Ms. To Beaumont Texas for this event a Family Lunch/Dinner and Chose This Place of Business due to their reputation for service and Food Choices being a Wide variety, To Have Us Interrupted and Rudely and Publicly Told to Leave , Felt Discrimination of Service and Race due to Their were Many other Parties of Different Race organs Their and Some There Before Our Event and There after We Left Soccer and Basketball and Baseball Teams visiting in That Area and Establishment. But seems We were asked to Depart being He The Manager knows Not if My Party had Had Their Fill or if Any had Just recently Arrived. Destinations from as far as from Columbus Ms. ,Houston Texas, Lake Charles La. ORANGE Texas, Port Arthur Texas and of Course Beaumont Texas where This Event was Held. Thank You and Look forward to Your Advice and Help.
Senario,
What if a Homeless Person had only The Money to Eat that One Meal Deal a All You can Eat and They Came and Were asked to leave but this would be all they would eat for that day or days is it right to determine their fill of food or is it right that they chose wisely a All You can Eat and Tried to satisfy their need for food intake ,same as to My Parties how was this Man to Determine how much or if they had their fill ,again Mind You They Sat Us Where a they Reserved Areas and There was Know Problem with Other Customers or anyone in The Party.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Did you have to pay anything to reserve the room? Are there any sort of restrictions on their "All You Can Eat" advertisements?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No to having to Reserve the room
And non that Was Clearly Advertised or verbally intructed

Thank you.

The general rule is that a restaurant has a right to refuse service to anyone at any time, but that rule isn't going to extend to discrimination. They can't, for example, let a 40 person group of one race stay and ask another to leave if you aren't being loud or disturbing other customers (and if you had your own room, that shouldn't have been an issue). Discrimination based on group size would be OK, but not based on race, ethnicity, religion, or something like that. So you may have a case against them for discrimination if they didn't put a maximum limit on your group, didn't ask other, equally large groups to leave, didn't set a time limit when you arrived, and didn't warn you that there were noise issues or other complaints before asking you to leave. Any any person who did not get to eat because they chose to send the whole group out is entitled to a full refund of the monies paid.

If there is a person above the person who asked you to leave, that might be a starting point for someone to talk to who could make this right. Or if the restaurant is a chain, you could send a letter to the corporate office - both the Customer Service division and the legal department. They might be willing to work with you in order to avoid the negative publicity of a lawsuit. If they won't, then you may want to talk to a local attorney about helping you take things further.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank You and Can U Inquire of What Type of Attorney to seek is This The Consumer Protection Attorney and do they have to be or practice in Texas or because I am a Out of Towner can I seek Help from a Attorney from My Area?

Since this happened in Texas, they unfortunately would have to be licensed there. A person licensed in one state isn't allowed to practice law in another without ALSO hiring a local attorney to help (which means you'd pay double the legal fees - it's not done very often). Any litigation attorney or attorney with experience in discrimination can help. Many lawyers who do consumer protection law will also do this type of case.