John, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney experienced in consumer protection law.
71296933

My son works staffing agency that sent m to a company making

Customer Question

My son works for a staffing agency that sent him to a company making transformers for solar panels. My son is in a lead position and he and his techs build the transformers and mistakes have to be fixed before shipment. Yesterday management told the workers that when a mistake was found the tech responsible and the lead would each be charges $9.00 for the mistake. These mistakes do not in any way damage the transformer. The company and not the staffing agency told them this. Is this legal? And if so they may have a mass exodus on their hands. We are in the Ft Worth, Texas area.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

First and foremost it is illegal to withhold or deduct anything from his check without his express permission. So to whatever extent charging that to the employee means withholding it from their wage, that is clearly illegal. But what they could be saying is that they'd withhold it from the staffing agency, perhaps. There may for example be an arrangement between the staffing agency and company wherein the staffing agency charges the company $X and pays the hourly wage to the employees. It would not be illegal for the the company to withhold from the staffing agency. The staffing agency also cannot withhold from the employees pay without their permission. So, the short story is neither of them can withhold from your son's pay as by law he cannot have such a withholding without giving express permission. If a withholding like this did occur, I'd suggestion filing a claim with the Texas workforce commission.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.