Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I took my vehicle to a dealership and it was kept tremendous

Customer Question

I took my vehicle to a dealership for service and it was kept for a tremendous amount of time. A transmission was found by them to be replaced. I paid that and got the vehicle back and the stereo doesn't work and there are more issues than when I took the vehicle in for service. I took the vehicle back and they requested I give them several thousand more dollars I received the vehicle back with no additional work done. How do I go about getting this matter handled?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you sign any contract with them? Did they warrant their work? Have you had the vehicle inspected by another mechanic?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have a written agreement covering the work? Did they provide a warranty? Have you had their work inspected by another mechanic?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I towed the vehicle to them and told them what it was doing. They took almost a month to fix what they said was the transmission. I had an extended warranty that they worked with that company that sent someone out to confirm a transmission needed to be replaced. Meanwhile I paid for a rental car from enterprise through them and continued to call and receive the run around. I authorized the transmission as the warranty company said needed to be replaced. When it was installed I got a call saying that the vehicle would not start bcuz I had some type of code on the stereo. I let them know I have no code and somehow a few hours later they got the vehicle started. I ask them to check the rest of the car and see if anything else needed addressing. They called back and said that they needed to replace a belt that went out while they were doing the work. I had them replace it and paid for it. I picked up the vehicle and it was dirty inside and out, tires almost flat and the stereo was not functional. I addressed all this to the clerk and she instructed me to take the vehicle and call the company that supplied the stereo. I did that and they told me that they couldn't help. Then I noticed the vehicle had a rough ride, shakes and leaking some type of fluid. I took the vehicle back told them what was going on. Repeatedly ask for a manger and received the run around. I was supplied with a rental and they told me it would be covered by them until the vehicle could be fixed. A week or two of me calling trying to figure out what was going on and still no call from the manager. Then I got called n was told that manager is on vacation. A supervisor called and said that the leak was from a totally unrelated issue and it did nothing of the sorts of what I a rough ride. Then I got another call that it was a transmission hose loose from the previous work plus an oil leak and differential problem alone with the stereo still not working. In addition to the $3000 originally paid they said that I needed to pay another $3000 or so to fix these issues. I consulted with the supervisor and he told me that he would just charge me the breakdown and inspection of the vehicle which was $300-$400 and I needed to pay the rental car that they had given me. This was not agreed to. They said the damage was nothing that they had done but that the vehicle was old and it is just breaking down more over time but that the issues they r addressing now don't need attending to as of yet. I took the vehicle and tried to get the stereo fixed and was told that the wires had been cut. The ride is terrible and now overheats and the heat stopped working. The tires have to constantly get more air and the vehicle shakes and does several alarming things. Because of what they did when they had the vehicle the extended warranty company said that they would not cover the cost of the vehicle to be fixed bcuz of what the dealership told them were the issues. And if I took it to another mechanic that they wouldn't pay the cost bcuz of what they were told but the dealership. Cadillac of greenbelt.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like they messed up the car with whatever they did. You can sue them for the damage they did and other incidental damages, such as the car rental. However, you are going to need to get another mechanic to examine the work they did and figure out how they messed up the car so that you can make specific allegations.

Then you can sue for the damages caused by their shoddy work.

You may also want to file a consumer complaint with the Maryland Attorney General's Office. See the following link:

http://www.oag.state.md.us/consumer/complaint.htm