CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I bought a used vehicle in Missouri. The verbal promise from

Customer Question

I bought a used vehicle in Missouri. The verbal promise from the private seller was that it will need 0 repairs when it is picked up. I picked it up. 10 miles later engine light came on with codes. The guy i bought this vehicle from new and did something
to make the engine light temporarily disappear because he have a repair shop. Called him left him a message never called me back.What are my options?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 12 months ago.

Sue the seller for "fraud in the inducement" - lying about a material fact with the intent that you rely on that lie when entering into the contract causes the contract to be "voidable" (meaning that as the injured party you can enforce or void the contract at your option).

Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Any chance for the state attorney general?

Unless they are an auto dealer this is not likely to be of great help to you.

The AG's office investigates fraudulent and unfair business practices, then levies administrative and/or criminal penalties against the business and/or its owners. They do not help you get your money back, or help you undo the transaction itself. So, yes, you can report the matter to the AG, and they may investigate, but it won't help you unwind the contract (which is what I was assuming you were hoping for).