Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I have been called by a person named stating that I have won

Customer Question

I have been called by a person named ***** ***** stating that I have won a prize of 4.5 millions. Does your company know this person who is claiming to represent you. His telephone number is(###) ###-####
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

This is unfortunately a common scam. It is literally impossible to win a contest you did not enter, and it's illegal for companies to enter people into a contest simply because they have an email address or a cell phone. It's a type of what's called "advance fee fraud." The way it works is, they tell you that you've won this amazing, life-changing prize - and then they ask you to pay a small, upfront fee to collect it. No legitimate company will ever charge you to receive a prize that you've won.

The comments I found attached on the phone number point to another type of scam - asking someone to pay to receive a package. It's definitely not legitimate.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If they call again, the best thing to do is simply to not answer. DO NOT send them any money, no matter what they say. People can lose their life savings to these types of scams.