Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I had contacted a sports betting company over the phone in

Customer Question

I had contacted a sports betting company over the phone in Sept of this year regarding a radio ad that I heard stating that they provide information in sports handicapping and that they transform sports betting to sports investing like the stock market only a lot more lucrative.
I found out later this was not true and spoke to several people in this company ***** ***** Sports and they were HIGH POWERED SALES people who would not take no for an answer and somehow (My stupidity as well) convinced me to pay them with my credit card large sums of money mounting to approx 8k over a period of 45 days. In addition to that I paid and lost approx. 4 k in bets that I had made online due to their advice. I have maxed out 2 credit cards and paid some money on debit cards as well. I finally stopped listening to them taking their calls which were many as I simply ran out of money and realized this wa a mess I was in. I did contact my credit card companies about charging back and they are looking into the matter. The key issue is that this company has phone recordings of my approval as well as some docusigns which I confirmed that I know the payment is not refundable. They also told me that I would get in trouble from the authorities if I try and dispute these charges
Can you let me know the best course of action to deal with the credit card companies, debit card companies and this company and recoup my losses
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would not get in trouble for disputing the charges with anyone. You also can contact the Texas Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit for their unfair and deceptive business practices in how they handled this matter. If they assured you that you would win 70% of the time and that was false advertising that is something that the attorney general will look into.
Aside from reporting them to the Attorney General, your only other option is you can have a basis to sue them for their unfair and deceptive practices and seek damages in the court against them for up to three times your losses plus attorney's fees and you would need to sue the company where they are located.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.
As it stands, two of my credit card companies are cooperating with me Discover and PayPal Extras mastercard and are disputing the charges. I informed both of them the entire situationNow Shell FCU which uses a third party processor when I contacted them earlier this month I just told them that I did not know the 2 charges adding up to $1500, They have sent me an Affidavit to complete and send back to them. On that affidavit it asks if these 2 transactions were made with my knowledge and consent. If I say yes then I would be lying and if I say no I would not be able to dispute this. Please advise
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, that is the only way you can fight this. You are not lying in that you did not receive what was promised and they misrepresented themselves. So you cannot say that the transactions were made without your knowledge and consent, but only that they did not deliver as promised.