Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I have a complaint against LG regarding a refrigerator

Customer Question

I have a complaint against LG regarding a refrigerator problem they won't acknowledge. It was purchased around April of this year and had a problem wherein condensation was appearing on the outside of the freezer door of this side by side model. Unable to fix it, they replaced it with the same model; and unfortunately with the same problem, (only a bit worse). The same technician was dispatched and still couldn't resolve the problem. He called someone, apparently another company technician, who rom afar, decided it was caused by the ambient temperature and there was nothing wrong with the unit. Despite several efforts to get some satisfaction, including calls to HG by Home Depot, where the product was purchased, HG has refused to budge. A different (local) repair specialist came to check out the unit, but because the problem is intermittent, he couldn't help. He did offer an unofficial diagnosis that there was insufficient insulation in the door, but because he didn't see the problem, he would not write this down in his report. I find it totally unreasonable that a problem they attempted to solve by replacing the entire unit has now become an unsolvable problem based on the "ambient temperature" ruling by an unknown technician on a phone diagnosis. Am I being unreasonable, or are they? P.S. I have several photos of the problem.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

I don't think it is matter of who is being reasonable or unreasonable, it is a matter of whether or not the product is defective, and it obviously is, either in manufacture or in the warnings given with it. If the machinery is only suited for certain "ambient temperatures" then it shouldn't be sold where those aren't the standard.

Usually what most people would ask next is "what can I do" and the only answer, assuming they won't voluntarily resolve the issue, is to sue both the seller and LG. You can sue them yourself in small claims court or you can hire a lawyer and sue them in any court for the damages plus your attorney's fees. In this case you should strongly consider biting the bullet and paying a lawyer since both the store and LF will have their lawyers and it will take a tremendous amount of work on your part and the lawyers will run you ragged if you are not represented.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If you have a lawyer early there is also a much, much better chance they will settle.