Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Copied directly from your site see below please. I am in a

Customer Question

Copied directly from your site see below please. I am in a "very similar" situation. Comcast 'claims' that I have agreed to a 24 month, verbal, legal binding contract, in which I might have in a state of confusion and anger (as I was trying to negotiate rates w/ them on the phone) however, I never signed anything, nor clicked on any electronic contract. I feel I am being cheated by them... ...I would like to them to screw and not have to pay any 'early termination' fees. FC ***@******.***
anyone who could represent me in the Northeast, that would be appreciated, please email me for more personal info. I would like to not share it through this forum.
Expert: Phillips Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information:
Hello.
I have a potential customer that was with Comcast and is looking to get services with us. He called Comcast to tell them he was switching. They told him that he couldn't switch because they had a verbal agreement with him. He doesn't know anything about a verbal agreement nor did he sign any agreement. They told him that if he switches he'll have to pay a cancellation fee of $500.00. My customer is upset and I'm trying to find clarity in all this.
I used to work for Comcast before I was hired at the company that I work at now. So my question is, is it legal and binding for Comcast to utilize a verbal agreement as a contract for termed services for it's customers. Now mind you, when I worked there almost two years ago, we always had to have a signed agreement for contracts. Now they're saying my customer has a verbal agreement. To me it sound bogus and down right illegal.
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/consumer-protection-law/626ml-legal-binding-comcast-utilize-verbal-agreement.html#ixzz3tALmRvwD
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Pursuant to the statute of frauds any agreement not to be performed within 12 months must be in writing to be enforceable in court. You need to inform them that you never signed any such contract and as such you are not responsible for any 24 month deal. Inform them that verbal contracts and verbal representations from employees not put in writing and signed by the parties are not legally binding and as such there is no valid contract as they claim and that you are terminating the service immediately since there is and never was any binding contract.
If they refuse to do so, your next step is a complaint to the NH Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/