Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I received a similar check only the Company name is Cigna

Customer Question

I received a similar check only the Company name is***** (Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company). The check is supposed to cover the cost of processing the
$250,000 sweepstake prize I supposedly won
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received a check in the mail from Billtrust Financial Incorporated a few days ago. Billtrust has offices in LA, , Capetown, and Venice (phone ***-***-****0. The claim number is ***** The check is for $3,950.00 that, according to the attached letter, should be used to process my winnings ($250,000.00). The process fee is $3,600.00. A call to Mr. ***** *****nis at(###) ###-####and answering some unspecified questions would initiate activation of the check. The certified check would be delivered personally by courier. No banking information is needed apparently. The home company on the check is Cigna Dental (Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company). The check is drawn on the Third Bank (Northern Kentucky); check #199704695. Routing number is###-##-####if that helps. This is surely a scam and I want to do my part to put an end to these activities if I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Billtrust also has an office in Dublin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am working on a computer at the library. I only have 13 minutes left on my allotted time. In case we are disconnected. could you please contact me with your findings at my e-mail address***@******.*** or my cell phone at(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bank is the FifthThird Bank.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, we are only allowed to have contact through this type of forum. There is an extra service that some experts offer for a telephone call but it costs extra and I don't do those so if you want a phone call I'll have to opt out.

Yes, it is almost certainly a scam. Anytime you receive a check with instructions to deposit it and then forward money somewhere else it is a scam. What will happen is that check they gave you will not clear and then you will have forwarded your own money to them and likely bounce checks to other people and would be expected to cover those.

If you want to pursue a charge against these people then the best way to do it is to contact your local police department and let them open an investigation or forward it to the FBI or you can file a complaint at www.ic3.gov, which is the federal agency that deals with internet crime. I'm not sure that this would fall under their jurisdiction but I have heard they were expanding to include all of these scam mailings and it certainly won't hurt to file with them.

Please ask any follow ups in this thread. Also, if you have follow up questions you can ask them again tomorrow and at any time you can issue a positive rating and that will lock the question open so that it no longer times out and will be available for you to come back to any time in the future.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much, Dwayne. I will contact the FBI. Would like to help stop this nonsense. Eileen
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome.

Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.