Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I purchased a computer from HP and along with that purchase

Customer Question

I purchased a computer from HP and along with that purchase an extended warranty. Nearing the expiration of the initial extended warranty that I purchased for the PC, HP offered to extend my warranty again selling me an additional two years and recording my Product Serial Number during the transaction. During the term of the extenstion, HP decided that my product was 'end of cylce' and when I exercised my right under the warranty to repair the PC, HP said that they could not fix the product. Do I have a case against HP for replacement of my PC and what case in NJ can I cite to support my claim for replacement of the PC with an equitable product?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, you can cite to the Manguson Moss Warranty Act, which is federal law, which states they have to honor their warranty as written and must either repair or replace your system under the warranty they granted to you. Here is a link to the Manguson Moss Act: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/chapter-50
They have to honor the warranty and either repair or replace the system in accordance to what the terms of the warranty state or you can sue for breach of warranty.