Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I sold a car privately on a 5 year repayment plan. I have a

Customer Question

I sold a car privately on a 5 year repayment plan. I have a notarized contract that if payments are not made for 3 months the car reverts to me.Payments have not been made for 5 months and I would like the car back.The new owner of the car is unresponsive to my requests that he return the car or even to give me any info about the car. I have the pink slip on the car, but it is registered in the new owners name.What legal recourse do I have? Thanks
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you know where the car is located you can go and repossess the car. If you do not know where the car is located, you must file suit against them for breach of contract and serve them and then get the court to order the car returned to you at which time you can register it back into your name. If you do know where the vehicle is located and you are able to recover the car without disturbing the peace, then to change the registration, you need to still file in court for breach of contract for the court to order the change in registration since you have a contract stating that is the penalty.