Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

My 92 yo mother has a Modified Endowment Contract (Universal

Customer Question

My 92 yo mother has a Modified Endowment Contract (Universal Life Insurance policy) and has been paying premiums since 1990. Her payments were taken out automatically from her checking each month. But this past September and October the insurance company
stopped taking out her payments. I called them and they said her payments were restricted due to IRS code this year, and that her policy might lapse and terminate by the end of this year. They also told her that she has paid $48k into a $40k policy. Can they
legally terminate her policy where she would lose her death benefits?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

ANSWER:

This sounds really strange. I would not take them at their word on this and would suggest that you investigate further by obtaining and reading a copy of the policy contract she signed. Make sure that you have written proof that you have attempted to pay the premiums on time (i.e. send a letter via certified mail return receipt requested and reference the check number and the amount and the months for which you are submitting premiums manually. Do this first to prevent any lapse, then read the life insurance policy carefully to make sure she has been charged premiums in accordance with the contract that was signed.

Terminating the policy in this manner would normally be a breach of contract.