Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

I just broke up with a term boyfriend. Unfortunatly we

Customer Question

I just broke up with a long term boyfriend. Unfortunatly we purchased a car together recently. we each paid 3 thousand and repairs were 1400 each which we paid. before breaking up the car went into the shop and I paid 2 thousand to get it out. I offered to buy him out of the car at 3 thousand minus the 1,000 he owes for the last repair. He stated that he will only take three thousand plus the 1400 that he paid for repairs and he is not going to pay for the current repair bill. His brother is a judge in town and I am not sure what to do.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you can't come to a private agreement, then your recourse here is to file a "partition" lawsuit in small claims court and have the judge order that the car be sold at auction to the highest bidder. At that point, you can bid on it along with any other member of the public to purchase it and essentially force a buy out of your ex's interest. Obviously he could bid as well and it would depend on who wanted to bid the highest as to who wanted it more..

.

You could also sue him under a breach of oral contract claim in small claims court for the $1K that he owes for the repairs if you had an agreement to split all the costs of the vehicle repairs.. That might "encourage" him to work something out with you for a sale rather than be dragged into court, lose and have to pay you $1,000..

.

.

thanks