Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

The Motor Mile Car Dealer in Grand Rapids, MI forced my

Customer Question

The Motor Mile Car Dealer in Grand Rapids, MI forced my sister to sign for a new car even after she told them she was not able to pay $567.00 for the car and the insurance. She speaks a little English, but does not understand written English. No one translated to her what she was signing and one day later she when back to return the car. Mr. Jaime, the manager, told me that he did not have to explain anything to the clients and that he does not have a translator or need one neither. Mr. Jaime lied to me when he said that all the papers were already in the bank, but yet he was asking my sister to bring my mother's social security papers on Monday, November 30, 2015. My sister left the car at the dealer and went home. What repercussions would this may bring?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If she did not understand the language and this was not explained to her in her language, this can be found to be an unfair and deceptive business practice and grounds to invalidate the contract based on no meeting of the minds, which is required for a valid contract.

You need to start by sending a letter to the dealer (in addition to calling them and telling them the same thing) informing them that there was no meeting of the minds, she did not speak or understand English and as such there is no contract and you are returning the car and the contract is void. You need to tell them if they persist, your next step is filing an unfair and deceptive practices claim with the MI Attorney General Consumer Protection Unit and also calling the MI DMV Dealer Licensing (Secretary of State) and will report them for their unfair practices there as well and have them investigated.

If they still refuse, you first file your complaint with the attorney general and Dealer Licensing unit. If those two cannot resolve this matter (which they can in most all cases) then you can sue the dealer for breach of contract, since there cannot be a meeting of the minds if a person does not understand English and the contract was not explained to them in their language.