How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 28777
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a car dealership in Louisisna and a potential customer

Customer Question

I own a car dealership in Louisisna and a potential customer took possession of a motor vehicle we own in order to get checked out. He still has car but has no bill of sale, tag of anything else. How do I go about getting immediate possession back of my motor vehicle?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If he's refusing to return the car, did not pay for it, and is not communicating with you regarding when he's planning to return the vehicle, then it's legally been stolen. His permission to take the car expired at the minute he decided he wasn't going to bring it back as the two of you agreed. So you could file a police report.

In addition, if you know where this person lives, you have the ability to go to the house and take the car back with your key, since it's your car. Or you could ask a tow company to come and take the car back. You can knock on the door and ask for your key back and if he doesn't return it, let him know you'll be suing him in Small Claims court for the cost of getting a new key made (plus your filing fees). It's also possible to call the police and request a civil standby, asking that they go to the house with you to pick up the car, to make sure there isn't any problem.

If you'd prefer not to get the police or courts involved, you have the option of sending a letter, via certified AND regular mail, giving him the option to return the car by a date you specify or be sued for the full value plus punitive damages. Or you could leave a message that says as much, since letters take a few days. The only problem is, you might not want to wait a week for him to get a letter, and people tend to take certified mail more seriously than a phone call.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.