LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
63726236

I allow my neighbor to use my car once a week. He doesn't

Customer Question

I allow my neighbor to use my car once a week. He doesn't have a car anymore but he still has insurance. Is this OK? Richard
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience - a few moments please

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Basically, in CA, for personal liability, the insurance follows the car; so under the doctrine

vicarious liability

A car owner can be held liable/responsible for the negligence of a person that the owner allows to drive the car. This is why it is important to have liability insurance on one's car.

If an accident causes personal injuries or property damage, then the injured party may file suit againts the owner of the car, and the driver of the car.

Some insurance policies require that a regular driver be listed as a driver (this is a matter of contract law and it varies by the policy) but typically this is reserved for relatives; however, one's policy should be reviewed to ensure there are no restrictions.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

It appears that you are offline.

I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. Please let me know if you require further clarification and I will respond as soon as I see your reply.

And, please provide a positive feedback rating (by clicking on the smiley faces- this does NOT cost additional)-- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts on your behalf.

Thank you; it's been a pleasure to assist you!