Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I have a settlement, which I receieve in Annual Annuitys. My

Customer Question

I have a settlement, which I receieve in Annual Annuitys. My Pain Doctor was charging WC $600 for each spinal infusion but since my Settlement he has started charging me $1623 for my Spinal Infusions. I also received an email from his office Friday that they require a copy of my Settlement letter or they will no longer treat me. My Settlement was over 2 years ago and I have been receiving infusions every 3 months. Is this Legal?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This Doctor is also pushing the issue of installing a Pain Stimulator ( $20,000) which I have been telling him with each visit, I do not want it and don't feel as though I need it. I have been doing well with the Spinal Shots and do not even need Pain Pills. I feel like he is Price Goughing me for some reason.. Your help is appreciated..
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, without any written contract to the contrary, the doctor is free to charge reasonable fees as he chooses. Just because a doctor has a lower price for insurance, the doctor may actually charge self pay customers s higher rate in NC and billing of this nature is not unlawful there.
You need to provide the doctor the information about the settlement and if he refuses to continue to treat you at the same price, you have a right to get another doctor who will treat you properly.