Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

I signed fence granddaughter (i am 83), she refuses to pay

Customer Question

I signed for a fence for my granddaughter (i am 83), she refuses to pay it. The house was sold but the fence was not paid and now i am stuck for $13000. I can't afford it on social security, what can i do? She has taken off and i don't know where she is. Help me
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

In a situation like this, the fence would be a personal debt of granddaughter and if you co-signed, you would be liable to pay it if she defaults on the payments. However, if you don't have any assets like non-retirement savings, paid off vehicles, land, or substantial equity in your home, then there is not much they can do to you.

.

They could sue you and spend several thousand on an attorney, but they can't garnish your SS. So if you don't have any other assets, you are essentially "judgment proof" meaning they can sue you, but they won't be able to collect on the judgment.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We own our home with a motgage of 120,000. Can they touch that?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

How much equity do you have in the home? What is it worth?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They value house at $267,000,, really can't afford phone call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can't get a loan because the did a number on out credit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new owners are living in the house now with the fence
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

I don't send out the phone call offers...those are automatically generated by JustAnswer.. And I don't see any necessity for one here..

.

Since you have about $150K in equity, you will be able to entirely protect the house and any equity in it as long as you record a "declaration of homestead" and file it. This allows you to protect up to $500K in equity.

.

This is the form you need to file: Declaration of Homestead

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, we do have the homestead act on our house, so all they can do is keep ruining our credit rating which they have already done. You have been a big help. After i pay the fee will i be able to cancel this?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Glad to help and to hear that you already have a homestead declaration in place so it will protect the home.

.

And yes, once you rate my service, you shouldn't be charged anything more unless you signed up for a subscription. If you did, you can always contact customer service at JustAnswer to cancel it so you don't incur any additional charges.

.

.

thanks much