CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

Insurance Agents or Online Researchers. I have specific

Customer Question

For Auto Insurance Agents or Online Researchers. I have specific questions on Auto Insurance Policy. My insurance premium increased twice this year without any changes in my driving records or cars. The only concern is my lawsuit I filed against Auto Insurance
company. Can a lawsuit increase insurance premium?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

The insurance company can increase its premium rates for you based on any criteria they wish (this is not a regulated figure or number). If you are a greater risk due to your lawsuit against them, that can result in a higher premium.

It is possible that the company is increasing premiums for other reasons, but the carrier does not have to provide you with a reason for increasing premiums.

The only restriction on increases is that they cannot increase a premium for a period in which you have already contracted for. So if you have a 6 month policy, they cannot increase the premium mid-term (increase your rate at 3 months into the term), they must wait until the end of the term, at which time they can increase the rate (or they may decide to cancel your coverage altogether).