Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I would like to know if I have the right to sue a

Customer Question

I would like to know if I have the right to sue a corporation for an unwarranted incident? Incident occurred a month ago at a major chain 4 star hotel. A situation occurred with a person on the property hotel. The police were called but the situation was contained and no police report filed over a misunderstanding. I left the premises to make sure to avoid any further escalation from this person. I received threatening texts after I left the premises as well as a text and email showing I checked out of my room when I did not check out. This person received my address and phone number from the hotel by stating they would like to check out of room number and the hotel clerk gave the person the check out slip which had my information on it. I feel this is a privacy no no and this person should not have received my information from my account. Is this a case or something to chalk up in the wind?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Was the person staying at the hotel in the room with you? It seems there is some information missing about the "situation" so could you please explain?
The only thing the hotel did was gave the person your information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The situation was an argument about race that I did take offensive and decided to leave. Really small potatoes though to me and decided to leave and hear no more. The person was not staying in the room but only had visited the room for about 10 - 15 minutes and we went to dinner in the hotel restaurant and had planned to go to a concert afterwards. The conversation turned to something heated at the table over race so I left and the person wind up getting my information from the hotel. And yes the only thing the hotel did was give the person my information.
Thank you for your reply.
So the hotel has violated your right to privacy by disclosing your private information and by allowing someone other than you to check out of your room. This is a basis to sue, but you have to prove the damages suffered, such as from the harassment of the person texting you (which really can be nebulous and hard to define). It comes down to how much time you want to invest, because it is more than likely something that would go to small claims court and without any actual damages to prove you can sue for up to $10,000 in Texas and likely you may get about $1000-$3000 for them giving your information out without your consent leading to you being harassed by text.
So you can sue for this, it is up to you whether it would be worth it to sue or not. You make it sound like not a huge deal and one you do not want to invest a ton of time in, so that is up to you to decide.