Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

Y'all mail me a winning application n I was wondering did

Customer Question

y'all mail me a winning application n I was wondering did y'all get dat mail I sent y'all back
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can u call me please my number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

We did not mail you any winning application. JustAnswer is a general information site and does not run contests.

Did some company tell you that you won a contest? If so, were you told to send money to someone to pay for transfer expenses shipping, courier fees or taxes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they told me to pick A or B n they said that if I won it they was going to send it to my address
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So what did you do? Did you have to wire them money? Do you have the name and snail mail address of the company that contacted you?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but there seems to be a problem with your payment method, so I cannot accept your phone call. Please answer the question I've asked you by replying here so that I can understand fully what you're dealing with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
y'all ain't send them papers to me somebody else probably sent them to me
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

No, we didn't send it to you. But if you knew who did, we could tell you whether the offer was legitimate or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Larry Hourd dats his name
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like you were scammed and that you didn't really win anything. What did Larry Hourd ask you to do? Did you send him money? If so, how?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I send him some money
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

If you really win a contest, you NEVER have to pay for it. The money that they have for you is already yours so they don't need anything out of pocket from you. You also can't win a contest you didn't actually enter and if you entered this one, you'd have your proof of entry and you'd know the company you were dealing with.

How did you send the money? That is, did you charge it to a credit card? Did you mail a check? What were you supposed to win?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of 2,000,000 dollars n I mail my money in cash
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Then I'm right, and you are the victim of a contest scam.

You NEVER have to pay money out of pocket to collect money that's already yours. If they already have two million dollars that's supposedly yours, they don't need another $500 of your money. They only need to give your money to you.

The up front fee, no matter how sensible the reason for it may sound to you, is the #1 sign of a contest fraud.

This person, whoever he is, is using the mail to defraud and that is a Federal offense which can get him years in prison if he is ever caught. Unfortunately, you don't know who he really is or where you can find this guy. That's typical of a scam too. They don't give you much information about themselves and what they do give you won't check out. So this is a job for law enforcement.

You need to report this to your police and to the FBI. You can contact the FBI online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center and just fill out an online form. Give the police and the FBI all of the information you have on Larry Hourd and his company. If the police can find him and bring him to justice, then you have a chance of getting your money back.

I won't kid you. The odds that anyone can find this person are very low. However, at least by reporting the crime, your losses to this scammer are tax deductible, and if the authorities can't find him, you'll have a $500 deduction that you can take when you file your 2015 taxes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But they didn't give it to me the money
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Right. Because they are crooks, and you didn't really win anything. All they wanted was for you to send THEM money.

They had no money for you. If it were a real contest you wouldn't have had to send them money. That's why you need to report it to the police.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Good luck! If you want to learn more about contest scams so that you don't fall for another one, you can learn everything you need here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I filed the police form can they send me my money back huh ma'am
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

No. The police don't pay back crime victims. If they find the criminals, however, you can take them to small claims court for the money or have them arrested and get paid back as part of their plea agreement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O OK ma'am
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Again, good luck!