Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

BY TEXAS LAW, IS THE LCRA REQUIRED TO KEEP LAKE BUCHANAN

Customer Question

BY TEXAS LAW, IS THE LCRA REQUIRED TO KEEP LAKE BUCHANAN LAKE AT A MINIMUM LEVEL OR CAN THEY RUN IT DRY AGAIN BY OVERSELLING WATER?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The TX law that created the LCRA authorizes the LCRA to develop a lake water management plan. This plan sets the minimum levels that are required for the lakes and can be found at http://www.ce.utexas.edu/prof/maidment/grad/kaough/webpage/public_html/term385/385rep2.html

The plan is for ALL lakes not just Buchanan Lake and the minimum levels may have changed since this plan, but there are minimum levels set in their management plans.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I'm aware of what you are telling me. Because of this drought we have experienced the lake level way below any previously set levels. The legislature was talking about setting new levels and I was asking if that had happened. Thank for trying. See you again on another issue

Thank you for your reply. I was not aware of what you were aware of, since you did not mention it.

There is nothing in the state law though that sets the levels. The TX law just gives LCRA the authority to determine what the minimum levels should be, so the law is LCRA sets the minimums, and to answer your question posed, there is nothing in the TX law other than that.