Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

In the state of Florida I am in a cost plus contract with a

Customer Question

In the state of Florida I am in a cost plus contract with a restoration shop. They are unwilling to show me any invoices as backup for their billing. Do I have any rights to get this information?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a Florida licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Does your written contract state that the shop would provide you with the copies of all the invoices?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it does not say anything about that. It seemed to me to be understood by the fact that it is "cost plus". If I file a lawsuit wouldn't the invoices need to be presented to the court to prove I owed the money. Yes this is a very unfortunate situation.

Thank you for your follow up.

Can you please tell me the cost of the project and what is being restored, so I can better understand the situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having a bronco restored. I paid a down payment of 50000 but this project would likely have been 200,000 if completed. The shop had asked for an additional 45,000 and I in return asked for documentation of where the initial 50,000 had been spent. After many back and forth exchanges they have now told me that they are not going to send me any invoices So all I have is a list of parts with a description and a cost. Many of the items I can look up based on the description but the amounts don't seem to match up with what they are charging. Does this help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you litigate in the state of Florida? Are you interested in taking this case? If not would you reccomend an attorney? I am at my wits end with these guys. Obviously more to the story but too much to type here

Thank you for your follow up.

What part of Florida is this shop located at?

Have you communicated to the GM of the shop with your concerns and what was their response to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shop is in Pensacola. I am dealing with the owner of the shop. Here is part of the last response. Bear in mind that "their" part numbers is total bs. They are ordering readily available parts that are available to anyone. If they have a "secret sauce" it is in whAt they do with the parts. It's all just bs so they don't have to show me what they paid for the parts:I have every part layed out with the price just as you requested. Stuart and I mentioned on our last conference call that we do not give out our part numbers nor does any other Bronco shop of our caliber. We have countless hours with thousands and thousands of dollars of testing and trial by error to get to where we are at. Our part numbers and system for which we have created is what sets us apart. Just like in your industry you do not give out your technical information that you and your team has worked hard to develop, our part numbers are the same for us
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For instance one of the super secret part numbers is sand blasting sand just to give you an example.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, if the costs are disputed by the consumer / customer and a lawsuit is filed, then the shop will have to disclose and provide strict proof as to how the costs were calculated or the court simply would not award such costs to the shop and generally, the consumer / customer does have the right to be provided with some type of reasonable explanation / proof, as to how the costs were incurred.

So, while I am not permitted to personally represent JustAnswer.com customers, it would be a good idea to consult and retain an experienced local civil litigation attorney and this local attorney can send a demand letter for the proof of costs and if the shop fails to provide such proof / documents, then a lawsuit can be filed against the shop for deceptive business practices / breach of contract.

You can find an experienced and skilled local civil litigation law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to civil litigation law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.