Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I have a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta with a diesel engine, one

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta with a diesel engine, one impacted by the recent scandal at VW where they mislead the EPA and customers to believe the cars were eco-friendly when in fact they gave out over 40% more pollutants than allowed by law.
Due to the findings it has left my car unable to pass an emissions test and virtually unsellable. I have received a letter from Volkswagen apologizing and asking for me to be patient. In the mean time my physical mail box and email box are filled with lawyer ads suggesting I retain them due to being an owner of an impacted car.
Even though we bought this car used, we did so because it was an eco-friendly, great on gas mileage and had a great resell value. Who knows what Volkswagen is planning to do. I'm not really interested in a car that needs to be completely rebuilt on the inside but I doubt they are going to invite me to pick out a replacement.
Should I obtain a lawyer or just wait it out?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

There will no doubt be a class action suit or several suits stemming from this problem and I strongly suspect that VW will need to buy back all of the affected vehicles.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

That said, there is nothing wrong with having an initial meeting with a consumer rights attorney to get the latest news and get an idea of your rights, even if you do not retain them.