LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
63726236

I have been staying in a motel in Roanoke Va. the motel has

Customer Question

I have been staying in a motel in Roanoke Va. the motel has bed bugs I complained and they moved me to a different room. I have a lot bites on my right leg I don't want to take these things to my home. What recorse do i have.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

A few more minutes please as I'm working on a reply.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

VA doesnt have any laws pertaining to bed bugs in particular, but a hotel can be liable for common law breach of contract and negligence. Under the contract theory, the hotel owner has a duty to provide a clean room- one that a reasonable person would consider to be clean. A bug infestation would not be considered clean. Same concept applies to a negligence theory. However, under a negligence theory, one would need to prove that the owner knew (or should have known) of the infestation; this is not required under a contract theory - knowledge is irrelevant. If a report is made to the hotel, it should be written so there is documentation; it is also helpful to have other evidence such as pictures/medical report. Generally the party breaching the contract is liable for economic damages suffered (ie medical treatment, refund of hotel room price, professional cleaning of clothing, etc)

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for using JA. If you have further questions please post here and I will reply. Otherwise

kindly rate Positively

so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you and take care!