N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

My boyfriend had a failed business 10 years ago. He filed. s

Customer Question

My boyfriend had a failed business 10 years ago. He filed for bankruptcy. His sister was a co-signor on one of those loans. She opened a bank account with a friend where she could keep her saving while her friend lives in Mexico. It was the bank that was dismissed on my boyfriend's bankruptcy case. The bank took $25,000 from the account his sister shared with her friend. My boyfriend paid back his sister's friend $5,000. while his sister paid her friend $20,000.00. Now his sister demands her brother pays her back $20,000. with interest. She demands $1,200.00 per month for 20 months. My boyfriend has decided I should pay $200.00 per month for the interest. I paid the last year of mortgage payments loaned from his sister, for 2 years I bought all the groceries. And paid $600.00 on a $1000.00 her paid $400. When I made the last payment on the mortgage, I decided to quit my job and live on my widow's pension from social security of $1,380.00. And right after that was when the demand I pay $200.00 to repay his sister on his (loan?). There is no no note on that loan(?) it was all agreed verbally. The other day I asked him how much is the interest rate, which I pay. He said 4%, but it's much higher. It's too much for me, I just made it this month on $17.00 in the bank. Is any of this alright?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

You have no legal obligation to pay anything to his sister.

California Civil Code:

1624. (a) The following contracts are invalid, unless they, or some note or memorandum thereof, are in writing and subscribed by the party to be charged or by the party's agent:

(1) An agreement that by its terms is not to be performed within a year from the making thereof.

(2) A special promise to answer for the debt, default, or miscarriage of another, except in the cases provided for in Section 2794.

///

via

http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=civ&codebody=&hits=20

Section 2794 does not apply to your situation.

I do not think it is OK for you to be paying off an old debt of a boyfriend and it is not very gallant for him to ask you to do that. You can do it if you want, but it is not legally required.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your answer. I thought that much. It did not seem fair to me. In the 7 years I have been involved with him and his sister (an EA tax consultant), there has been one loan after another. I have not had an opportunity to pay my own debts, which he declined to help me pay (what was once $5000. 7 years ago has grown to over $13,000. with interest. This last loan compelled me to say, "No more". So, 2 days ago I told him I'm not paying over $200 and all the household groceries bills. I will pay my half of the rent, my half of the utilities and half of the credit bills for which I agreed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He broke up with me. And, I'm OK with that. No more stress.

From what you wrote, that was probably for the best.

If you are satisfied, please remember to rate my answer as 3 or higher, otherwise my time here is completely uncompensated.

Thank you for using Just Answer.