Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

We just bought a used Motor home camper. We bought it in

Customer Question

We just bought a used Motor home camper. We bought it in Fort Myers, Fl. and had to drive it to Jacksonville. Before the purchase My husband asked the dealer about the tires. He had mentioned there was some dry rot visible on one of them but the tread was still good. I was still concerned so when we were at home in Jacksonville before we picked it up I sent him an email stating I was concerned. He told me not to worry the tires will be ok for a while yet. I have this in writing.
We left Fort Myers on Saturday around 11:30. 66 miles up the road we had a blow out. Right on the interstate. As we sat on the side of the interstate we were waiting for the Folks from Good Sam Roadside service to call us back. When they did they said they have to locate a tire shop with that size tire and they will call us back. they were going to bring Us tires. They could not tow us to a shop. They called us back and told us our charge would be 900 for two tires. My husband did not want the other front tire to blow.
He finally got there about 4:00 with the tires. As we traveled up the road about 100 miles another tire blew out. This time it was the inside tire on the back right side. It was late by then so my husband was able to pull of the interstate and down the next off ramp. We stayed at a hotel that night as no road service could help us on a Saturday night. 8:00 Sunday morning My husband started calling Tire shops in the area and the road service s. Both AAA and Good Sam. Finally AAA Service showed up at 4:30 in the afternoon. He put a on spare which was also dry rotted and followed my husband to Tire Kingdom 20 miles away to get new tires put on. This time it was 1,000 dollars for 4 back tires. I learned that day that tires have dates on them. These tires that were on the vehicle when sold were from 2001 and 2003. Normally a used camper is sold "as is" but this time the dealer said this sale is definitely not "as is". In fact the dealer went over the vehicle and had the seller (this was a consignment) pay another 600 dollars for things such as the wiper blades, refrigerator propane gage Etc. But he told us the tires were fine. Are there any laws in Florida on selling a vehicle with bad tires. I know it is ethically wrong unless it is being sold as is. What are your thoughts?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

It is a breach of contract and misrepresentation. You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know.