Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I red a contractor to put a stone walk way in the front of

Customer Question

Hi, I hired a contractor to put a stone walk way in the front of my house with an enclosure that covers the front door. The contractor did a poor job at best on the walkway and never obtained the proper permits which he charged me for. After going back and forth trying to rectify the problems, he finally said I was harassing him and he was done with my project even though I was extremely unhappy. I filed a complaint with the BBB and the attorney general of PA which has got me know where. My next step is taking him to small claims court. Do I have a case that I could win?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Yes, you do. At a minimum, you're entitled to reimbursement for the permits he never got. You're also entitled to what it would cost to have someone else finish the job properly. Make sure you have pictures of the walkway and estimates from other contractors showing what it will cost to fix the job (with the appropriate permits).

The legal definition of harassment is to contact someone repeatedly WITHOUT a legitimate purpose. Unless you were threatening him with physical harm, it's not harassment to ask someone to give you money that they owe you. And it's not harassment to say "I'll take you to court if you don't pay me." That's just a statement of your legal rights.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.