Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Will the courts award money to me built remodel project

Customer Question

Will the courts award money to me for poorly built remodel project without another company's estimate?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Probably not. The measure of damages in a case like this is what it would cost to have someone else fix the problems caused by the first contractor's shoddy craftsmanship. The only way to know that is to get another contractor (or even better - two or three) to give estimates as to what that would be. The judge has to be able to determine damages to a reasonable certainty based on the evidence presented, so you do need evidence of damages.

The judge cannot grant a full refund as long as the contractor did any work, unless ALL of it has to be taken out and redone, but you'd need a contractor who could say that needed to happen in most cases. The other problem with simply requesting a full refund is that, if it would cost more than what you paid the contractor to have the work fixed, you're actually entitled to that amount instead. So you could end up hurting yourself by not getting estimates.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.