Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I co signed friend to purchase a vehicle. Since then the

Customer Question

I co signed for a friend to purchase a vehicle. Since then the vehicle has been paid off but my name is ***** ***** the title. I have been notified by the insurance company that he has let the insurance lapse for none payment. I have contacted this person in the past and ask for him to have my name taken off the title and gotten no response. What are my options, and am I liable if he has an accident on this vehicle.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you are liable if he has an accident while driving the vehicle. Both of you are liable. The injured person can go after both of you or one of you depending on who has "deeper pockets."

If he is refusing to remove your name from title, then you have to file lawsuit to obtain an Order from the Court for him to remove your name without further delay.