Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

I was stopped in Las Vegas, NV by a police officer and my

Customer Question

I was stopped in Las Vegas, NV by a police officer and my car was impounded
I had a few questions Do the Officers have a right to search my car? do they keep a inventory log?
Do the tow truck drivers search the car, do they keep a record? or a log?
The reason I asked these questions is I had a large sum of cash in the car and when I went to pick up car from towing company the money was gone along with a few other personal items
What should I do now? can I sue the towing company?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was for a DUI
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Without more details about the search, it's not possible to say whether the police violated your rights under the 4th Amendment to the Constitution. But it is safe to sayin general that once they have stopped you the police can seize any contraband in plain view. If you consented to the search they can search your vehicle. If you didn't but you were arrested, they can make an inventory search of your vehicle incident to that arrest.

If the police remove any of your property as evidence or for safekeeping, there would an inventory or vouchers of some kind for that property. Whether it's the policy of the towing company to itemize what's found in a vehicle they toe and keep such a record would vary with the particular towing company.

Unfortunately, in situations like this, what in my experience will happen is that the police and the towing company will not have any paperwork which will show that there was cash in the vehicle and that they will claim claim "Money? What money?" when you ask about your funds. Yes, then you can sue them, but whether you can meet your burden and show that there was actually money in the car will be another story, so don't try to do this yourself without a lawyer if the police and tow company claim not to know what you're talking about.